Judge Advocate General
The Office of the Judge Advocate-General exists as Obsidian Fleet's judiciary branch, ensuring that the rules are followed by all players. We are not the 'police', rather the 'court', and attempt to solve all conflicts brought to our attention from within the Fleet.
JAG is meant to be a last resort. It is not a replacement for traditional problem solving, but is available when the situation is serious enough and all other options have been exhausted.
Personnel & Organisation
The Head of the Office is the Judge Advocate-General, who is ultimately in command of it and the final judicial authority in the Fleet.
The current members are:
- Lieutenant General Dorlan Kwase, Judge Advocate-General
- Rear Admiral Alison Abbott, Deputy Judge Advocate-General
- Commodore Felix A. Marshall, Assistant Judge Advocate-General
- Commodore Nicholas Roberts, Assistant Judge Advocate-General
There are also specialised officers who have studied JAG and Fleet Law proceedings and represent players before the Office. These are known as Fleet Advocates.
Past Judge Advocates-General
The past Judge Advocates-General of the Fleet were:
- Rear Admiral Seishuku Nariko 29/07/01 - 6/10/01
- Vice Admiral, the Earl Powell of Gareloch 6/10/01 - 7/11/06
- Vice Admiral Lane J. Gravis - 7/11/06 - 06/02/07
- Vice Admiral Culverton T. Smith - 07/02/07 - 14/08/07
- The Commissioners for the Execution of the Office of the Judge Advocate-General - 15/08/07 - 17/11/07
- Vice Admiral Culverton T. Smith - 18/11/07 - 28/01/08
- The Commissioners for the Execution of the Office of the Judge Advocate-General - 29/1/08 - 31/08/08
- Rear Admiral Faren Laan - 1/09/08 - 31/12/08
- The Commissioners for the Execution of the Office of the Judge Advocate-General - 1/1/09 - 30/6/09
- Vice Admiral Aric K. Goodman - 30/6/09 - 30/6/11
- Vice Admiral Matthias J. Shepherd - 30/6/2011 - 12/4/2012
For more details on the JAG Officers and Fleet Advocates, please go to the JAG Website.
The Fleet Court
The Fleet Court hears all cases brought in the Fleet. It consists of:
- Permanent Members
- Associate Members
The Permanent Members are the full JAG Officers and only they have the right to vote and decide upon matters before the Court. Associate Members are either former JAG Officers or Fleet Advocates. Associate Members are able to contribute to debate within the Court, but ultimately have no right to decide a matter.
Occasionally, the President of the Court appoints temporary Associate Members from the Fleet Staff to help the Court decide a case.
The Inspector-General does not have a judicial role within the Fleet, but carries out investigations for the Office.
Duties and Responsibilities of the JAG
- Member of the Fleet Council.
- Responsible for overall management and administration of the Fleet JAG department.
- Exercises the supreme appellate judicial authority of the Fleet.
- Ensures continuous communication within fleet in regards to judicial affairs.
- Maintains JAG webpage.
- Point of contact for any matter regarding to Fleet judicial policies, implementation and processes.
- Recommend appointments of Fleet JAG personnel, with consultation.
- Prepares all judicial documentation (including rules and policies therein), with consultation.
- Co-ordinates and compiles the Annual Report.
- Monitors disciplinary action throughout the fleet and provides consultation and instructions where necessary.
For more information, please visit the JAG Website